Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Corvette Racing 2011, Everything on Corvette Racings 2011 Challenge
Corvette
post Sep 23 2011, 01:06 PM
Post #21

Xtreme Memberr

Group: Xtreme Member
Member No.: 3

Corvette Racing has added another installment to its 2011 video series, this time detailing the perfect way to lap Circuit de la Sarthe. The video comes on the heels of the Chevrolet boys' GTE Pro class victory in the 2011 race, complete with a little bragging from driver Oliver Gavin, who takes the wheel here.

The front bumper cam shows just how fast these GT cars really are, and how terrifying the Mulsanne Straight must be at night. Apart from the sheer speed, there's nothing quite like hearing the Vette's V8 at full song. Louis would be proud. Check out the video

--------------------

Motor & Transmission By John Kuiper Race Engines.
Suspension & Brakes By Ron Missian Motor Sports.
To See My Build Album Click On Any Of The Below Pics.

Priscilla, Queen Of The Vettes
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corvette
post Sep 23 2011, 01:07 PM
Post #22

Xtreme Memberr

In Episode 6 of Corvette Racing’s Track to Street, we turn the spotlight on the mechanics. Viewers follow the crew into the garage and under the cars as we take a closer look at how the mechanics factor into the equation on race day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Corvette
post Sep 23 2011, 01:09 PM
Post #23

Xtreme Memberr

Corvette Racing Series Episode 7: Beating the Clock

In the seventh installment of Corvette Racing’s Track to Street, we see that practice makes perfect. Watch as the pit crew works together and how they handle the pressure when their number is called in pit row.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Corvette
post Sep 23 2011, 01:10 PM
Post #24

Xtreme Memberr

S2 Track to Street: Corvette Racing Series, Episode 8

See how the team prepares for the street-course race in Baltimore, the city's first ALMS event.

Corvette Racing at Baltimore Grand Prix: The Science of Street Racing

Software, Simulations, and Experience Prepare Corvette Racing for Inaugural Baltimore Race

BALTIMORE - Before the first practice session at the inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix begins, Corvette Racing's twin Compuware Corvette C6.R race cars will already have made dozens of laps on the downtown street circuit – thanks to sophisticated computer simulations.

The first race on the 2.1-mile, 12-turn temporary street circuit is a journey into the unknown for American Le Mans Series teams. With limited practice time before Saturday's two-hour race, every second on the track is precious. In order to maximize the Corvettes' performance, the engineering team has analyzed the layout and developed chassis setups on a virtual track.

"Beginning with drawings provided by the organizers, we developed a projected racing line based on the geometry of the track," said Corvette Racing engineering director Doug Louth. "Then the engineering team ran simulated laps to optimize gear ratios and chassis setups. We've prepared maps for the drivers that show projected shift points, maximum and minimum speeds, and potential passing zones."

This proprietary simulation program is used in a variety of GM motorsports programs, from ALMS and Grand-Am road racing to NASCAR. It's also used by engineers in the production Corvette group and other technology partners.

"The big variable on street circuits is the pavement," Louth noted. "While we have data about elevation changes and the crown in the road, we won't know how smooth or rough the asphalt is until we're on site. There could be bumps that require adjustments in the racing line, or th organizers might make last-minute changes in the barriers and cones that define the track perimeter. We have to be prepared for these possibilities.

"Corvette Racing's years of experience on street circuits is definitely an asset," he added. "We've raced on smooth tracks and on rough ones, so we have the background to handle whatever we find in Baltimore. We have a list of high-priority items to work through in the limited track time that's available. All of the ALMS teams are in a similar situation, so hopefully we can do a better job than our competitors. It's exciting to go to a new venue in a major metropolitan area, and this event is another step forward for the American Le Mans Series."

Corvette Racing's drivers know how to win on street courses. Olivier Beretta (No. 3 Corvette C6.R) and Oliver Gavin (No.4 Corvette C6.R) are the most successful ALMS drivers on temporary circuits with seven wins each. In the Series' last visit to the mid-Atlantic area at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C., in 2002, Jan Magnussen (No. 4 Corvette C6.R) scored an overall win in a Panoz LMP1 prototype.

But all eyes in Baltimore will be on the youngest driver on the Corvette Racing squad, Tommy Milner. Milner was born in the District of Columbia and grew up in nearby Virginia. Last Sunday, he opened the Baltimore GP festivities by throwing the first pitch at a Baltimore Orioles/New York Yankees baseball game at Camden Yards, which is located inside the street circuit.

"The last time the Series raced in the mid-Atlantic area, the event got great reviews," Milner said. "I'm optimistic that the Baltimore Grand Prix will be a success. Many of my friends have never seen me race except on television, and they're excited about going to this race. I'll have lots of support in the grandstands.

"This race is going to be a real test," he noted. "With most circuits, a driver can learn the layout on a simulator or a video game, but we don't have that option for the Baltimore race. Street tracks are always tough because there is not a lot of grip initially, and the surface changes quite a bit from the first practice to the race.

"A good baseline setup makes it easier to get acclimated to a new track, and I'm confident that the Corvette Racing crew will give us one," Milner explained. "I'm comfortable with the Corvette C6.R on a street circuit after coming from the back of the pack in Long Beach. I consider Baltimore to be my home race, and I want to do as good a job as possible. Every driver is on equal footing, and it's all brand new. I feel confident that we'll be on pace right away."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Corvette
post Sep 23 2011, 01:11 PM
Post #25

Xtreme Memberr

S2 Track to Street: Corvette Racing Series, Episode 9

Welcome to the Corvette World Tribute, where Chevrolet's supercar is celebrated by owners and drivers of all models, both on and off the track.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Corvette
post Oct 5 2011, 11:00 AM
Post #26

Xtreme Memberr

A Conversation with Doug Fehan at the 2011 Petit Le Mans

CorvetteBlogger was on the ground last week at Road Atlanta for the 14th annual Petit Le Mans. We had the opportunity to talk with Corvette Racing’s Program Manager Doug Fehan about the 2nd full season of GT racing, the win at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and changes for the 2012 program which including building two new Corvette C6.Rs that are 2 inches wider.

Obviously, the big news from this interview is that Pratt & Miller will be building a new car for 2012. Doug says the new rule change allows them be on par with Ferrari which has been allowed to run a wider car since 2010. The additional width will come from enhancing the flares on the cars as the rules still require the team to use the Corvette ZR1′s production fenders and chassis. Doug adds that the new car will be the focus of testing over the winter break which will start for the team later this month.

The other good news is that despite a report from SPEED saying funding for the 2012 season wasn’t yet approved, Fehan says the program for 2012 is all wrapped up, but the team has to look at the details to make sure the dollars are maximized to ensure the team can do all it needs to (like building new cars).

Lastly, Fehan may have inadvertently given us a tidbit on the C7 program. We were discussing the tire wear that plagued the Corvettes at Laguna Seca in September and I asked Doug if he talked with his Michelin tire engineer Lee Willard about that and what his comments were. (Lee Willard is also the man who engineer the Michelin tires specifically for the Corvette ZR1). Doug responded that Lee wasn’t at Laguna Seca and was back in Detroit working on the new tire for the upcoming C7 Corvette.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Corvette
post Oct 5 2011, 11:02 AM
Post #27

Xtreme Memberr

Corvette Racing Honored at ALMS Night of Champions

Jan Magnussen Voted Most Popular Driver, Dan Binks Named GT Mechanic of the Year

BRASELTON, Ga., Oct. 2, 2011 – Twenty-four hours after the checkered flag fell at the season-ending Petit Le Mans, the roar of racing engines was replaced by applause, toasts, and words of gratitude as the American Le Mans Series celebrated its champions. Corvette Racing drivers and team members were among the honorees at the awards ceremony.

Jan Magnussen was voted the Most Popular Driver in online balloting by fans. The Dane is the only ALMS driver to have won a race in every year since the series’ inception in 1999. He joined Corvette Racing for endurance events in 2004, and became a full-season driver in 2007. He was GT1 co-champion with Johnny O’Connell in 2008, and finished second in the GT championship this year with teammate Oliver Gavin. He cited the series’ international appeal as a factor in his selection as the Most Popular Driver.

“I’ve always enjoyed tremendous support from fans, especially in Denmark and Europe,” Magnussen said. “You really have to go to Le Mans to experience their enthusiasm, and they follow me in the ALMS when I’m racing far from home. Driving a Corvette also helps, for sure!

“When I joined Corvette Racing for long-distance events, success at Le Mans was my goal,” Magnussen recalled. “Now my goal is to win another ALMS championship, and there is no better teammate to help me achieve that than Oliver Gavin. We’re going to come back stronger next year and finish one place higher.”

Dan Binks, crew chief for the No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R, was selected by International Motor Sport Association (IMSA) officials as the Battery Tender Mechanic of the Year in the GT class. Binks received a $5,000 award in recognition of his wrenching and leadership skills. He then donated the award to the Austin Hatcher Foundation for Pediatric Cancer, the official charity of the ALMS, on behalf of his teammates.

“Donating the award to the Austin Hatcher Foundation on behalf of the entire Corvette Racing team is the right thing to do,” Binks said. “We race as one team, and everyone on the crew deserved this award. We’re fortunate to be able to do what we love, and we all want to help support the work that the Austin Hatcher Foundation does with children and families who are dealing with cancer.”

Corvette Racing was runner-up in the GT Team championship, the team’s best finish since moving to the GT category in 2009 after winning eight straight GT1 titles.

“The competition in the GT class is fantastic,” said Corvette Racing team manager Gary Pratt. “We’re racing against teams representing BMW, Ferrari, Porsche, and Jaguar, and it’s always a fight. We really appreciate the quality of the competition, and it only makes us work harder to get to the top step.”

Corvette Racing technical partner Michelin won the GT Tire Manufacturer championship on the final lap of the final race. The Corvette crew contributed to Michelin’s success throughout the season with a victory at Mosport, runner-up finishes in Long Beach and Mid-Ohio, and third-place finishes in Sebring and Baltimore. Although not a part of the ALMS championship, Corvette Racing’s victory in GTE-Pro at the 24 Hours of Le Mans was the crowning achievement of the 2011 season. The team has now tallied seven class victories in Le Mans

“Looking at our season overall, although we didn’t collect as many victories as we’d like to, we did get the most important one, the 24 Hours of Le Mans,” said Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan. “Le Mans is the cornerstone of the Corvette Racing program, a win there is our main objective, and we accomplished that goal proudly for Chevrolet and Corvette.”

Corvette Racing’s next event is the 60th Anniversary Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring on Saturday, March 17, 2012.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2018 - 12:06 AM